The world of professional golf has changed significantly. The new LIV Golf tour now competes with the longstanding PGA Tour for the attention of both golf fans and bettors. Classic tournaments like The Masters, however, are still the biggest betting draws in the sport.
Once legal sports betting comes to North Carolina, and that could happen next year, you’ll be able to bet on all this golf online.
Here’s where to find the best golf betting sites, the latest PGA and LIV odds, and which sportsbooks run the best golf promos.
Best golf betting apps in NC
DraftKings Sportsbook North Carolina
Full Review: DraftKings North Carolina
DraftKings offers a huge range of betting options on golf tournaments. You can bet on a player to win the tournament or finish in the top 5, 10, 20, 30, or 40. There are also head-to-head matchups and 3-ball matchups between specific players. Golfer props allow you to back a player to win by a specific margin or to win in a playoff. The odds on these markets are very competitive.
There are also lots of parlays. For example, you could bet on Scottie Scheffler and Max Homa both to finish in the top 10. Tournament props include whether there will be an albatross or a hole-in-one. You can bet on markets like Big Guns v The Field too, which might pit Rory McIlroy, Scheffler, and Victor Hovland against the rest of the field. Additional markets include double chance, triple chance, playoff specials, 72nd hole betting, and many more.
Those are just the pre-tournament markets. When the action gets underway, you will find a huge selection of in-play markets, allowing you to bet on the minutiae of a particular golfer’s round. There are lots of free-to-play golf contests at DraftKings too, giving you regular opportunities to win bonus bets, and it also offers an attractive welcome bonus for golf fans in North Carolina.
FanDuel North Carolina
Full Review: FanDuel North Carolina
FanDuel is another high-quality NC sportsbook for golf bettors. It covers every PGA Tour event in exceptional detail, and you can also bet on DP World Tour, LIV Golf, and Korn Ferry tournaments, along with the majors, the Ryder Cup, and other big events.
If you select a PGA Tour event, you will find betting on the winner, the top 5, the top 10, and the top 20. There are also special markets, such as the winner without McIlroy, Scheffler, and Hovland, along with bets on the top player from each region. FanDuel does not offer as many 2-ball and 3-ball matchup bets as DraftKings, but it divides golfers into groups of five and allows you to bet on the player that will prevail in each group.
While it does not offer as many golf betting options as DraftKings, the odds at FanDuel are often attractive. Golf bettors in North Carolina might like to register with both online sportsbooks and then shop for the best odds before placing a golf wager.
Caesars Sportsbook NC
Full Review: Caesars North Carolina
Caesars Sportsbook NC is the best source of odds boosts on golf tournaments. This sports betting app typically offers four or five boosts on each PGA Tour event, along with boosts on various other tournaments. They can apply to the tournament winner, a top 5 finish, a top 10 finish, a top 20 finish, or parlays.
An infographic shows you the tee times and the leaderboard. You can browse a range of 2-ball tournament matchups, along with props such as the margin of victory and whether there will be a hole in one. Long-term betting is available on the majors, the FedEx Cup, and tournaments such as the Solheim Cup and the Ryder Cup too.
Caesars Sportsbook covers PGA Tour, DP World Tour, and Korn Ferry events, and it has also taken bets on LIV Golf in the past. It offers broad limits, with a minimum bet of $0.10 and a maximum win of $3 million, which can be negotiated upwards for certain bettors. There is a comprehensive loyalty program too, plus quick withdrawals and 24/7 phone support.
BetMGM North Carolina
Full Review: BetMGM North Carolina
BetMGM North Carolina is an excellent option for anyone placing long-term futures bets on golf. You can bet on the winner of each major at the start of the year, but it offers lots of additional markets too. For example, you can bet whether a specific golfer will win a major in a given year or whether a player will win at least two majors.
Alternatively, you can speculate on which major will have the lowest winning score to par, whether all four majors will be decided by a playoff, or whether a player will finish in the top 5, top 10, or top 20 at all four majors. There are loads of specials too, such as whether all four majors will be won by an American player.
BetMGM also offers various options for each individual tournament, but you will find more props and matchup bets at DraftKings. There are occasional odds boosts at BetMGM, and it offers a robust rewards program, reliable customer support, and secure payouts too.
Fanatics Sportsbook NC
Full Review: Fanatics North Carolina
Fanatics has been selling PGA Tour apparel and merchandise for many years. The Florida-based company has now expanded into online sports betting, and it gained market access in North Carolina by partnering with the Carolina Hurricanes.
The Fanatics Sportsbook app does not cover as many sports as rivals like BetMGM and DraftKings, but its golf coverage is strong. Pre-tournament and in-play markets are available on several tournaments each week, and the betting process is quick and easy.
Fanatics prides itself on providing sports bettors with a personalized experience. Check out the discovery section of the app for details of trending golf bets and tailored promos linked to your betting history.
Bet365 North Carolina
Full Review: Bet365 North Carolina
Bet365 is the best online sportsbook in North Carolina for anyone seeking a wide variety of betting options on a particular golf tournament. You can bet on the winner, each-way, to make or miss the cut, to finish in the top 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 30, a player to win wire-to-wire, finishing position (over/under), winning margin, handicaps, and much more. Bet365 offers a huge choice of betting options on each round too, along with a ton of tournament props and player props.
No other online sportsbook in North Carolina comes close to matching the breadth and depth of pre-tournament golf markets on offer at Bet365. It also provides the best live golf betting experience in the business. This sportsbook has always focused heavily on in-play betting, and it offers an enormous choice of live markets throughout a golf tournament.
Bet365 also tends to release its golf betting odds before rival sportsbooks, and it covers more tournaments from around the world too. Promos include “Golf Each-Way Extra,” which ensures you get paid out on extra places on select tournaments. There are lots of odds boosts for golf bettors to consider too.
How to download a betting app and live bet on golf
Download and install any sports betting app on your phone or tablet, and you can bet on golf events online inside the state. You’ll even be able to bet on live lines during the biggest tournaments on tour, like The Masters.
Here’s how to download and install any betting app:
After that, you’ll need to make sure you’re inside a state where the sportsbook app is licensed to place bets on golf events. Once you are, you can place online golf bets by:
- Clicking on any golf odds you want to bet on
- Filling out the bet slip that’s instantly created with the amount you want to bet, any more bets and a decision about keeping the bets as individuals or combining them in a parlay
- Click the ‘Place Bet(s)’ tab
How to bet on golf in North Carolina
For the most part, you can bet on golf the same way you bet on most other sports. Just pick tournament winners and accept the currently posted odds on those golfers.
Of course, the different ways to bet can run deep. Here’s a look at most of the golf bets available at NC online sportsbooks:
- Win: Pick a golfer to win a specific tournament. Lock in your bet at the currently posted odds that will stay the same for your bet, even if they change on the board.
- Against The Field: Pick a golfer to score lower in a specific tournament compared to the entire field or a smaller group of golfers in the field. You can also bet on the group or the field versus that golfer.
- Finishing Position: Pick a golfer to finish in the Top 5, 10, 20 or 40 in a specific tournament. Book this bet at reduced odds compared to the straight-up win bet.
- Matchups: Pick a golfer to finish better than another in a specific tournament.
- Groups: Pick a golfer to finish better than the others in a group of four, or more, in a specific tournament.
- 2/3 Balls: Pick a golfer to finish better than the others in a group of three in a specific tournament.
- Each Way: Pick a golfer to finish in the top three, four or five. Book this bet at reduced odds compared to the straight-up win bet and most higher Finishing Position bets.
- First Round Leader: Pick a golfer to lead the field after the first round of a specific tournament.
- Nationality: Bet on the nationality of the golfer that will win a specific tournament.
Live golf odds
Live betting is the next big thing in golf betting. It allows you to bet on golf events in the middle of a tournament round at odds that change with what’s happening on the course.
Even more betting markets are opened up, allowing you to bet on the next hole or even the next shot by a specific golfer.
Official tournament data is used to make it possible for sportsbook apps to figure out up-to-the-second odds on holes, rounds and even shots. However, these golf betting lines and odds change so fast that you’ll definitely want a sportsbook app to bet optimally.
Wait in line to get a live bet down at a retail sports betting window and the odds are likely to change before you get a chance to place that bet.
The Masters is golf’s most popular event. The fact that it’s hosted in nearby Georgia means it’ll probably be a hit for Tar Heel State bettors once legal sports betting lands here.
Sportsbooks are going to run specials, odds boosts, free contests and giveaways surrounding The Masters. Previously, we’ve seen 100-1 odds on golfers finishing in the top 10, 20-1 on some just making the cut and 15% odds boosts on any golfer to win a Green Jacket.
It also means there will be all kinds of different ways to bet on The Masters. Just remember to pay attention to stats like driving accuracy over distance and greens in regulation over almost everything when it comes to a course like Augusta National. These may give you the betting edge you’re after.
Check out our Masters page for more, including the latest Masters odds. In the meantime, here are the key details regarding this year’s event:
- When: April
- Where: Augusta National Golf Course in Augusta, GA
- How Much: $11 million+ purse ($1.98 million to the winner)
- What Happened in 2022: American Scottie Scheffler won by three strokes despite a late charge by Rory McIlroy, who shot -8 in the Final Round to finish runner-up.
- What To Bet On: Augusta rewards the best putting throughout the week, and golfers who hit big greens in regulation numbers give themselves a chance.
Bet on other golf majors
Golf has three other majors you can also bet on. Here are the details:
- When: May
- How Much: $15 million purse ($2.7 million to the winner)
- What To Bet On: PGA Championship courses always reward power and accuracy above all else.
- When: June
- How Much: $17 million purse ($3.15 million to the winner)
- What To Bet On: Long drivers are often competitive on US Open courses.
The Open Championship
- When: July
- How Much: $14 million purse ($2.5 million to the winner)
- What To Bet On: Tough conditions, deep rough and gangly traps make The Open Championship a true test of skill.
Golf betting odds boost & promos
As mentioned earlier, sportsbooks often run odds boosts and other sports promos surrounding golf events, particularly majors like The Masters.
Here’s a look at the top three NC sportsbook bonuses we’ve seen for golf betting online:
- DraftKings Sportsbook offering 100-1 odds on a golfer finishing in the top 10 at The Masters
- FanDuel Sportsbook offering 20-1 on certain golfers making the cut at The Masters
- BetMGM giving away a 15% odds boosts on bets on any golfer to win The Masters
Bet on Ryder Cup or Presidents Cup
Go beyond weekly tour events and the majors by betting on international competitions like The Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup.
The Ryder Cup is Europe versus the US in a match-play event held every two years. It alternates between US and European courses.
The Presidents Cup is the US versus the rest of the world (without Europe) in a match-play event held every two years.