The annual draft is one way NFL teams build their rosters. Each team is given a position in the draft order according to how they finished last season, with the worst team in the league picking first. Teams can either use the pick or trade it.
The players picked don’t have to come from college football, but just about every single one does. There are seven rounds of 32 picks each, and the NFL Draft is a televised event with prime-time coverage of at least the first round.
With a ton of speculation surrounding who will get picked and when, the NFL Draft is now an event the betting public can get in on. Here’s a guide to betting on the NFL Draft online in North Carolina, including the latest NFL Draft odds and a look at how you can make your own NFL Draft picks.
Top NC online sportsbooks for NFL Draft betting
When North Carolina licenses online sportsbooks, these major players are sure to dive headfirst into the market and offer NFL Draft betting. Check out the new player sportsbook bonuses they offer, which you can use to bet on the NFL Draft.
NFL Draft odds
Best NFL Draft betting apps
North Carolina online sportsbooks are going to allow you to download and install betting apps on most mobile devices. This will turn your phone or tablet into a mobile sportsbook for use anywhere inside the state. Here’s a look at the very best NC sportsbook apps for betting on the draft.
DraftKings Sportsbook is known for offering the most NFL Draft betting markets out there. Couple that with how easy the app is to use, and DraftKings has to be considered one of the top online sportsbook apps for NFL Draft betting. Here, you can bet on things like:
- Who will get picked first
- Who will be the first wide receiver/defensive player/offensive lineman picked
- Whether one player will be picked ahead of another
FanDuel Sportsbook offers almost as many options for betting on the NFL Draft as DraftKings, making it an equally solid choice for your NFL Draft action. Here, the draft betting markets include:
- Who will get picked first
- Who will be the first player picked at their position
- Which team will draft a specific player
Caesars Sportsbook doesn’t offer the head-to-head matchup or team pick NFL Draft markets available at DraftKings and FanDuel. However, all the important draft betting markets are here, including:
- First Overall Pick
- First Drafted Wide Receiver
- First Drafted Offensive Lineman
- First Drafted Defensive Player
- First Drafted Tight End
It’s not as easy to find the NFL Draft betting markets on BetMGM Sportsbook as it is elsewhere, but they are there. Just head over to the football section and use the dropdown menu on the left to pull up all the NFL Draft bets available. You should find you can bet on the first overall pick at the very least.
Reading NFL Draft betting odds
The odds available for NFL Draft bets are really no different from other sports betting odds. For example, the ‘First Overall Pick‘ market at Caesars Sportsbook lists 31 different players with odds to the right of each. The favorites are listed first, all the way down to some +25,000 longshots. Here’s a look at the top three favorites to get picked first in the NFL Draft at Caesars:
- C.J. Stroud -160
- Bryce Young +150
- Anthony Richardson +450
Bet on C.J. Stroud to go first overall and you have to lay $160 to win $100. However, you can win $150 for every $100 bet on Bryce Young if the Carolina Panthers pick him first in 2023.
The ‘Draft Matchup‘ bets at DraftKings Sportsbook may sound more complicated, but they really aren’t. These markets simply ask, “Who will be drafted earlier?” and list two players with odds beside each.
For example, DK pits Anthony Richardson at -240 against Will Levis at +190 in a matchup of who will be drafted first. That means you can bet on Richardson to go first between the two, but you have to lay $240 to win $100. However, you can win $190 for every $100 bet on Levis if he gets drafted ahead of Richardson.
How to bet on the NFL Draft
Betting on the NFL Draft can mean wagering in a few different markets. Most mirror typical futures or over/under markets. Here are some key examples.
- First Overall Pick: Bet on which top prospect will go first overall. Lock in your bets at the currently posted odds. Win if your pick gets drafted first overall.
- First Drafted At Position: Bet on which quarterback, wide receiver, running back, offensive lineman, tight end or defensive player will get picked first at his position. Lock in your bets at the currently posted odds. Win if your pick is the first player drafted at his position.
- Matchups: Bet on one specific player getting drafted ahead of another.
- Player Draft Position: Over/under on when a specific player will be picked.
- Exact Draft Order: Bet on the top three or top five picks in exact order.
- Team Specifics: Pick which player a certain team will draft.
- Player Specifics: Pick which team will draft a certain player.
- Total 1st Round Picks (Position): Over/under on how many players will be picked in the first round at a certain position.
2023 NFL Draft details
- Dates: Thursday, April 27 to Saturday, April 29
- Where: Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri
- Broadcast: ESPN, ABC, NFL Network, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Radio.
- How Many Days: 3 (1st round opening night, 2nd and 3rd rounds on Friday, remaining rounds Saturday)
- How Many Rounds: 7 (32 picks each, 259 overall)
- Who Picks First: Carolina Panthers via trade from the Chicago Bears
This year’s NFL Draft order
- Carolina Panthers (via Chicago)
- Houston Texans
- Arizona Cardinals
- Indianapolis Colts
- Seattle Seahawks (via Denver)
- Detroit Lions (via LA Rams)
- Las Vegas Raiders
- Atlanta Falcons
- Chicago Bears (via Carolina)
- Philadelphia Eagles (via New Orleans)
- Tennessee Titans
- Houston Texans (via Cleveland)
- New York Jets
- New England Patriots
- Green Bay Packers
- Washington Commanders
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Detroit Lions
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Seattle Seahawks
- Miami Dolphins (Forfeited)
- Los Angeles Chargers
- Baltimore Ravens
- Minnesota Vikings
- Jacksonville Jaguars
- New York Giants
- Dallas Cowboys
- Buffalo Bills
- Cincinnati Bengals
- New Orleans Saints (via San Francisco)
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Kansas City Chiefs
NFL Draft FAQs
The 2023 NFL Draft is set for April 27-29, 2023. The first round will be held on Thursday night, with rounds two and three on Friday, and rounds four through seven on Saturday. It will be held at Union Station in Kansas City, Missouri.
You can bet on the draft at retail sportsbooks at the Harrah’s Cherokee Casinos in Cherokee and Murphy and the Catawba Two Kings Casino in Kings Mountain. Plus, online sports betting should come to North Carolina by next year, so you should be able to bet on the 2024 NFL Draft online.
Some states say the NFL Draft is not a sporting event and don’t allow betting on it. It’ll be up to state gaming authorities and the North Carolina legislature as to whether betting on the NFL Draft will be allowed when online sportsbooks ultimately launch here.