Google will soon be rolling out an update to its advertising policy, specifically for the state of North Carolina.
As of Feb. 8, 2024, NC state advertisers will be able to apply for certification to promote sports betting campaigns. Any entity that wishes to promote online gambling content in the USA can apply for certification.
As per the language used by Google, only operators who have applied for a license in North Carolina may apply. From March 11, 2024, onwards, all state-licensed entities who “wish to continue promoting ads for sports betting will be required to submit their Certificate of Compliance.”
March 11 is the scheduled launch date for North Carolina online sports betting.
Summary Of Google gambling certification application
Here is a breakdown of the form that potential advertisers will need to fill out to be granted the appropriate certification to advertise gambling in North Carolina:
– First, advertisers must select their country from a list of countries permitted by Google.
– On the next screen, the form captures an advertiser’s name, company name, login email ID, and contact email. The Google Ads Customer ID and website are all mandatory fields.
– Next, advertisers must choose which product they wish to advertise, such as daily fantasy sports, sports betting, horse racing, or others.
If an advertiser wishes to run national sports betting ads on YouTube, then the form expands to include more information, such as the state of origin and betting license details. The form explicitly states that a copy of the state-issued license needs to be included. Failing to attach a license will result in an immediate rejection of the application.
Advertiser Requirements For Gambling Certification
Google has laid out a detailed list of requirements that online gambling advertisers must adhere to.
Here’s a summary of the requirements for an applicant to receive certification:
– All advertisements must comply with the terms of the advertiser’s gambling licenses and all applicable laws, regulations, and any relevant codes of conduct.
– All advertisers must possess a valid gambling license under the Sports Betting Act in at least five U.S. states.
– Advertisers must not invite, encourage, or permit anyone under the age of 21 to gamble.
– Advertisers must regularly review their age verification systems.
Google’s advertising policies dictate that gambling ads must target approved countries and regions only. The requirement helps ensure that advertising remains compliant with local regulations and is not served to users in jurisdictions where online betting may be restricted or prohibited.
Google’s policies also outline specific guidelines for different types of gambling-related content. For instance, offline gambling establishments such as brick-and-mortar casinos are permitted to advertise as long as they comply with Google’s certification process and other requirements.
Notably, social casino games, which simulate gambling but do not offer the opportunity to win real money or prizes, are subject to separate advertising policies. Advertisers promoting social casino games must ensure compliance with specific restrictions to prevent the promotion of real-money gambling destinations within their ads.
North Carolina Sports Betting Launch Less than Four Weeks Away
By the time March Madness comes around, sports betting will be legal in North Carolina. March Madness is among the largest sports betting events in the year, along with the Super Bowl, and NCSharp projects that the state could generate $7-$10 million in tax revenue for the month.
The North Carolina Lottery Commission has received nine interactive sports wagering operator license applications. The operators who have applied include:
– Underdog Sportsbook NC.
– The Catawba Nation (sports betting partner is TBD).
If operators can have their licenses and certifications in place by March 1, they can start registering accounts and accepting deposits.
The pre-launch period will help sportsbooks drum up some extra buzz around the historic launch of sports betting in North Carolina. NCSharp recommends all NC sports bettors do some required reading as soon as they download their desired apps.