North Carolina sports betting will launch at noon on March 11, 2024 with pre-launch offers starting March 1st. You can expect large welcome bonuses, odds boosts, and a wide range of betting options just in time for the ACC Tournament.
This page will give you an overview of how NC sports betting works, what to expect from DraftKings, Caesars and BetMGM, and everything you need to know about online sportsbooks in NC.
Latest NC sports betting launch updates
- Feb. 19: NC Lottery Commission Sports Betting Committee indicates eight online sportsbooks are scheduled to launch on March 11.
- Feb. 13: First round of sports betting suppliers (companies assisting sportsbooks) receive preliminary approval from NCLC.
- Feb. 8: Online sports betting ads on North Carolina social media platforms begin popping up, led by FanDuel and DraftKings. More are surely on their way. Google updates its ad policy to allow sports betting ads in North Carolina.
- Jan. 30: Caesars and the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians formalize sports betting partnership and confirm that Caesars Sportsbook will enter the NC online market.
- Jan. 24: The NC Lottery Commission announced a March 11 launch date for online sports betting. Players can start registering accounts on March 1.
- Jan. 23: Underdog Sports announces a sports betting partnership with Underdog Sports to enter the North Carolina sports betting market.
- Jan. 10: The list of operators applying for online licenses in North Carolina is up to nine. The most recent additions are the Catawba and Cherokee tribes, which operate casinos with retail sportsbooks in the state.
- Jan. 5: A flurry of Friday activity: DraftKings announced that NASCAR will be its partner for access in North Carolina’s online sports betting market; BetMGM partnered with Charlotte Motor Speedway; and the Catawba tribe filed for an online license.
When will online sports betting launch in NC?
The North Carolina Lottery Commission has confirmed that legal online sportsbooks can begin taking bets on March 11. Regulators had been given a hard launch deadline of June 14, but they were determined to roll out the first North Carolina sports betting apps in time for March Madness 2024.
We should note that pre-launch enrollment begins on March 1. The online sportsbooks will begin accepting bets 10 days later.
That means licensed online sportsbooks will launch just in time for the 2024 ACC Men’s Basketball Tournament, which begins on March 12. A week later, the NCAA tournament starts on March 19, so we expect to see NC sports betting apps debut with lots of college basketball bonuses.
|Scheduled launch date:
|March 11, 2024
|March 1, 2024
|FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, Bet365, Fanatics Sportsbook, Caesars Sportsbook, ESPN Bet, Underdog
Legal North Carolina sports betting: Here’s what you need to know
Gov. Roy Cooper signed the North Carolina sports betting bill on June 14, 2023. It permits at least 11 online sportsbooks to launch in the Tar Heel State. They will need to pay an 18% revenue tax, and the proceeds will be distributed to youth sports facilities, college athletic departments, public services, and responsible gambling initiatives.
North Carolina will issue 11 master licenses, all tied to in-state sports organizations and venues. Five will go to the state’s pro sports teams, two will go to racetracks, two to PGA Tour courses (Quail Hollow and Sedgefield), one to the PGA itself, and one to NASCAR. Each master licensee will be permitted to host a single sports betting app.
Meanwhile, Caesars Sportsbook already has a foothold in North Carolina, as it has partnered with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians to launch in-person sports betting at two tribal casinos.
The Catawba Nation, which operates the state’s third casino, the Catawba Two Kings Casino, has also received an online sports betting license. It has not announced who its sports betting partner will be.
The North Carolina Lottery Commission is currently considering licensing applications from nine companies. This list includes the online sportsbooks that have announced plans to launch a sports betting app in NC, their expected launch dates, as well as the pro sports entities still open for sports betting partnerships.
|Charlotte Motor Speedway
|Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians
|Quail Hollow Club
|Sedgefield Country Club
|North Wilkesboro Speedway
North Carolina sports betting apps expected to launch
We expect these apps to go live as soon as North Carolina’s legal online sports betting industry debuts on March 11. Check out the table below to learn the best qualities of these online sportsbooks.
|FanDuel North Carolina
|Best sports betting app
|DraftKings North Carolina
|Popular for NFL and NBA props
|BetMGM North Carolina
|Favorite for live streaming service
|Bet365 North Carolina
|Popular for in-play betting
|Fanatics North Carolina
|Best rewards program
|Caesars North Carolina
|Renowned for odds boosts
Caesars North Carolina App
Caesars Sportsbook already runs retail sports betting lounges at two tribal casinos in North Carolina: Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort and Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River. We expect it to be one of the first online sportsbooks to go live in the Tar Heel State, too.
This online sportsbook is renowned for offering large bonuses, hundreds of odds boosts each week, and high betting limits. Caesars Sportsbook also provides a beginner-friendly app and excellent customer service, so it could prove popular with sports betting newcomers.
DraftKings North Carolina App
DraftKings has operated popular daily fantasy sports (DFS) contests in North Carolina for many years, so it already has a large player base in the state. That should help DraftKings quickly establish itself as one of the market-leading NC sports betting sites.
You can look forward to an attractive Bet $5, Get $200 welcome bonus when DraftKings Sportsbook launches in North Carolina. This sportsbook also offers competitive odds, a huge range of props, very broad deposit and withdrawal limits, lots of free-to-play sports betting contests, and helpful pre-game stats.
FanDuel North Carolina App
FanDuel is the No. 1 online sportsbook in the United States by market share. It is renowned for offering the best sports betting app on the market, along with competitive bonuses, very quick payouts, and a large range of value-added features.
The company already has a strong foothold in North Carolina, as its DFS contests have been running in the state for more than a decade. That should help FanDuel compete with DraftKings for market leadership in the months ahead.
Bet365 North Carolina App
Bet365 is the world’s largest online sportsbook, with more than 90 million customers spread across the globe. The company is starting to make inroads into the American market, having launched in seven states over the past few years. Now, Bet365.com is teaming up with the Charlotte Hornets to bring its online sports betting app to North Carolina.
This sports betting site offers the best live betting section in the business. You can benefit from live streaming, real-time stats, a large selection of in-play markets, fast-loading pages, and an accessible user interface, making it ideal for wagering on live action.
BetMGM North Carolina App
BetMGM is among the top three online sports betting apps in the country, along with FanDuel and DraftKings. This app offers a sophisticated layout, a strong rewards program, regular bonuses for existing customers, a solid range of props, and a ton of features.
Sports bettors can stream NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS games at BetMGM NC, along with tennis matches and various other sports. That makes it another excellent choice for live betting.
Other sportsbooks coming to the North Carolina market
These are some of the additional sports betting apps that we expect to see in North Carolina soon.
- ESPN Bet: Penn Entertainment launched this app after agreeing to a $1.5 billion naming rights deal with Disney, which owns ESPN. The company previously launched a Barstool Sportsbook app, but it ultimately decided that ESPN was a better brand.
- Underdog: This fantasy sports operator aims to follow a similar path to FanDuel and DraftKings by expanding into traditional online sports betting.
- Fanatics: Fanatics Sportsbook has already inked a market access deal with the Carolina Hurricanes, so it is expected to launch its sports betting app on Day 1.
How to sign up, claim a bonus, and place a bet
Creating an account with a North Carolina sportsbook and placing your first wager will be simple. Follow these steps when North Carolina sports betting apps go live on March 11, 2024.
- Choose one of the sportsbooks featured on this page and click the link we have provided. It will open the site and ensure you get the best welcome bonus.
- Open the sign-up form and provide your name, date of birth, phone number, email address, home address, and last four SSN digits.
- Use the bonus or promo code listed on this page to lock in the best offer.
- Accept the terms and conditions, and then click to complete the form.
- The sportsbook will need to verify your age, address, and identity. The company may be able to do so automatically. If that is not possible, upload the documents it requests to complete your application.
- When you have been approved, click the “Deposit” button and fund your account using any of the methods provided.
- Just select a sport, choose a league, and click on one of the games to see a list of available options.
- Click on any betting option, and it will appear on your betslip. Type in the amount you want to risk, and it will highlight the profit you will earn if you are successful. Confirm the wager. You will be paid out after the game if you bet correctly.
How promos work with NC sports betting apps
The most ambitious online sportsbooks in the business will fight for market share in North Carolina. They will offer large, appealing sign-up bonuses in a bid to stand out from their rivals.
Their initial focus will be on attracting new customers, so they will probably operate at a loss in the early stages. You can capitalize upon this trend by registering with multiple NC online sports betting sites and claiming all the best bonuses in the state.
That could potentially earn you thousands of dollars in bonus bets. The best offers will include bet & get offers from DraftKings, FanDuel, Bet365, and Fanatics, plus first bet bonuses at BetMGM and Caesars Sportsbook. Just use the links we have provided to redeem the best sign-up offer at each NC sportsbook.
Learn more: NC sportsbook promos
Banking options for NC sports bettors
The best NC online sportsbooks will offer a wide range of secure, convenient banking methods. These are the key options to consider.
|0-5 days (can be instant if your bank supports a service like Visa Direct)
|Play+ prepaid card
|Within 1 hour
|Approximately 5 minutes
|Up to 14 days
- Note: An online sportsbook will need to approve a payout request before sending you the funds. That process can take less than an hour at some sportsbooks, whereas others may take several days to approve a withdrawal request. The table above highlights the typical payout speeds after approval has been granted.
Legal betting options in North Carolina
|Date bill signed
|June 14, 2023
|Operator tax rate
|18% of gross gaming revenue
|# of licenses/skins
|North Carolina Lottery Commission
|Legal, including betting on in-state teams and props
|Politics and entertainment betting, online casinos, and poker rooms
The North Carolina Lottery Commission oversees the state’s legal online sports betting industry. The commission opened the application process for sports betting licenses on Dec. 1, 2023.
Commission chair Ripley Rand has now announced that legal online sports betting will begin on March 11 in North Carolina. The commission is still considering license applications, but it expects to grant them in time for pre-registration to begin on March 1.
“The plan means that North Carolinians will be able to place bets on their favorite teams in many of this year’s college basketball conference tournaments,” said Rand. “Bets on sporting events have been made for as long as those events have taken place, but this time they will be legal, they will be done securely and fairly, and they will be made under rules designed to encourage responsible gaming.”
The sports betting bill signed in 2023 also permits in-person sports betting at North Carolina stadiums, racetracks, and PGA Tour courses. The commission did not give a concrete launch date for brick-and-mortar sportsbooks. However, in-person sports betting is already available at three tribal casinos: Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort, Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River, and Catawba Two Kings Casino.
Betting on local teams
You will be able to bet on thousands of teams from around the world at the best North Carolina online sportsbooks. Of course, sports fans in the Tar Heel State will likely be interested in backing their local heroes. These are the most popular teams to bet on at NC online sportsbooks.
- Carolina Panthers | You will be offered more than 200 pre-game betting options on every Panthers game at the best online sportsbooks in North Carolina. Many of them will offer live NFL streaming, allowing you to watch Panthers games while considering your in-play betting options.
- UNC | College betting is fully legal at North Carolina online sportsbooks, so you can bet on every football and basketball game featuring the Tar Heels. UNC is the most successful men’s college basketball team of all time, and you will be offered a wealth of betting options when they take on their rivals during March Madness.
- Duke | The Blue Devils also boast a legendarily devoted fan base in North Carolina. State law permits wagering on in-state college teams, including straight bets, props, and parlays, so you will be able to bet on every Duke game throughout the season.
- Carolina Hurricanes | The top North Carolina sports betting apps will offer hundreds of markets on each Canes game. You can browse moneylines, puck lines, total goals lines, correct scores, player props, team props, game props, lines on each period, parlays, same game parlays, and futures. The best NC sportsbooks also offer live NHL streaming.
- Charlotte Hornets | BetMGM is a great option for betting on the Hornets, as it offers live NBA streaming. You can also browse a wide array of basketball betting options with the BetMGM app. Another good option would be Bet365, which has teamed up with the Hornets to gain market access in North Carolina.
- Charlotte FC | Pre-match and in-play betting on every Charlotte FC game will be available at North Carolina sportsbook apps. Options include moneylines, total goals, handicaps, Asian handicaps, correct scores, goalscorer props, both teams to score, total corners, total cards, and much more.
How to bet on sports in North Carolina
The best North Carolina betting sites will make it easy for you to place bets. These are the most popular betting options to consider.
- Moneyline | Simply bet on the outcome of a game or event. For example, you could bet on the Hurricanes to win an NHL game, a UFC star to win a fight, or a tie in an MLS game featuring Charlotte FC.
- Point spread | This is the most common way to bet on football and basketball games. Sportsbooks will give the stronger team a handicap, which creates a spread. You can then predict who will cover it. For example, you might see odds of -110 on North Carolina -3.5 against Arkansas. If you think UNC will win by at least 4 points, back the Tar Heels to cover.
- Totals | This is a simple over/under bet. For example, you might be offered -110 on over 37.5 points and -110 on under 37.5 points in a game between the Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Props | These special betting options focus on player stats, team stats, or potential in-game events. For example, you could bet over/under on the number of points an NBA player will score, the highest scoring period in a hockey game, or the first team to reach 10 points in an NFL game.
- Parlays | A parlay combines multiple picks to create a single wager with large cumulative odds. For example, you could back North Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame, and Alabama all to cover the spread. All four would need to cover for the bet to win.
- Futures | These are long-term bets that run throughout a season or tournament. For example, you can bet on the Hurricanes to win the Stanley Cup, the Panthers to reach the NFL playoffs, or a player to win the Heisman Trophy.
NC sports betting timeline and legalization
- January 2024 – The North Carolina Lottery Commission announced that online sports betting would begin on March 11. The sports betting bill stipulated that the industry had to start by June 14 at the latest, but regulators decided to roll it out in time for 2024 March Madness.
- June 2023 – The Senate approved HB 347. Eight days later, Gov. Cooper signed it into law at an official ceremony held at Spectrum Center in Charlotte on June 14.
- May 2023 – The Senate Finance Committee cleared the North Carolina sports betting bill, sending it on for a full Senate vote.
- March 2023 – Rep. Jason Staine introduced HB 347, a bill that aimed to legalize online sports betting in North Carolina. The House approved the bill via a 64-45 vote on March 28.
- March 2021 – Caesars Sportsbook opened the state’s first in-person sports betting lounges at two tribal casinos: Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort and Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River.
- June 2019 – North Carolina legalized in-person sports betting at tribal casinos when Gov. Cooper signed SB 154.
North Carolina sports betting FAQ
You must be at least 21 years old to gamble in North Carolina. The three tribal casino sportsbooks are the only places you can legally wager on sports in North Carolina until online sports betting launches on March 11, 2024.
No. You only need to be located within state boundaries to bet on sports in North Carolina.
The Tribal Gaming Commission for the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians regulates gambling at the two Harrah’s locations, including at their retail sportsbooks. The Catawba Nation Gaming Commission regulates the Twin Kings Casino retail sportsbook. The state of North Carolina has some oversight to ensure tribes comply with the respective tribal-state compacts. North Carolina’s expanded sports betting, including statewide online sports betting and horse race betting, is regulated by the North Carolina Lottery Commission.
In July 2019, the North Carolina General Assembly passed Senate Bill 154, which enabled wagering on sports and horse racing on tribal lands in accordance with the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. The bill had strong support, with the Senate voting 43-7 in favor and the House at 90-27 before Gov. Cooper signed it. In June 2023, Cooper signed House Bill 347 to legalize online sports and horse race betting in the state. It also expanded retail sports betting options.
Yes, North Carolina sports betting apps offer lines for college sports, including in-state teams.
If it comes through a legal and regulated operator, then yes. It is safe because all regulated sportsbooks are scrutinized before being authorized. They must also uphold rigid regulatory requirements to operate in a given market. Currently, all online sportsbooks in North Carolina are illegal offshore sportsbooks and should not be trusted. Legal North Carolina online sports betting will launch March 11, 2024.